Tin Can Bay
A short history of Gympie
A public meeting was held to consider Queensland's separation from New South Wales in 1851 and in 1859 Queen Victoria gave her approval to establish the new colony of Queensland.
Queensland now had its own Constitution and became a self-governing colony with its own Governor, a nominated Legislative Council and an elected Legislative Assembly.
The 6th of June is now celebrated by Queenslanders as the day acknowledging the birth of Queensland.
On the 10th December, Queensland's first Governor, Sir George Ferguson Bowen, officially proclaimed Queensland to be a separate colony from New South Wales.
Queensland was bankrupt and when James Nash discovered gold in the area in 1867, Gympie became 'The Town That Saved Queensland'.
When Nash struck gold in a creek bed, the Gympie gold rush had began and for a time the town was known as 'Nashville'. James Nash made £7,000 from the goldfields.
In 1868 Nashville was renamed Gympie, after a local stinging tree the Aboriginals called 'gimpi'. All that existed at that time was a mining shanty town with tents, many small stores and liquor outlets.
Within months of the name change, 25,000 people were on the goldfields. Gympie was proclaimed a municipality in 1880, became a town a decade later and was a city by 1905.
Gold mining continued until 1925, when the city then became the most important regional centre for having a rich variety of agricultural activities.
Gympie is now the centre of the Mary River Valley agricultural district, in which beef cattle and pigs are raised, tropical fruit and vegetables are grown and an active dairy industry operates.